Wednesday 17 November 2010

World of CasualCraft

Also, on a more personal level, given your average friend is a computer nerd who has had rare, if any contact with anyone other than his left and right hands (this of course is a broad generalisation, and I don’t wish to offend (I put myself in this category). That said, it does seem that you have a number of sexually active WoW friends).
-chaoticgood, on my post Advice Anna
I was thinking, why does it seem like my WoW playing friends seem more sexually active than the rest of my gaming friends? Now that Facebook doesn't seem to have any of those friend wheel apps anymore, I can't make any pretty graphs, but just off the top of my head, I would say that a larger percentage of my WoW friends have been in a serious (and let's just assume that implies sexual) relationship than my friends who play games other than WoW. I would like to be able to do a survey on this, but I don't know how open people are going to be if I ask them if they're virgins or not. >_<

Actually, before I start this, maybe I'll see if I can make some graphs. Disclaimer first: this is a small sample size, and biased, as they are all my friends, which means they all might have some quality that makes them want to be friends with me or something, so keep that in mind! I hypothesize that a higher percentage of my WoW playing friends will have had sex than my non-WoW playing friends.

I'm going to go through my Facebook friends, and list all the people that I know play games and group them into WoW players (which is any WoW player, regardless if they play any other games, and regardless of whether they still play or not), and non-WoW players (possibly sub-grouping them into smaller categories if there are enough of them). Then I'm going to take a guess at whether they have had sex or not based on what I know of them. If I don't actually happen to know, then I'm just going to assume based on whether they have been in a relationship or not, and my general impression of them.

OK, I have to leave in a second, so no time to make graphs. Just a quick summary of the people on my list:

Total WoW-friends: 63
Total assumed to have had sex: 45
% of total: 71.4%

Total non-WoW-friends: 75
Total assumed to have had sex: 34
% of total: 45.3%

Have to leave now, don't really have time to write this out coherently in an argument, but this is the problem Mars found in my "study". Will discuss later!

Marstar says (4:41 PM):
so why do you want to survey who's not a virgin out of your WoW friends?
Fodder says (4:41 PM):
i just want to know
if my wow friends are more likely to not be virgins than my non wow friends
Marstar says (4:42 PM):
i think you'll find the numbers comparable
Fodder says (4:42 PM):
so you think playing wow doesn't make a difference?
Marstar says (4:42 PM):
shouldnt make any difference IMO
Fodder says (4:43 PM):
ah, i thought it would be less likely
but we'll see :)
Marstar says (4:44 PM):
there is no reason for it to be less likely ... losing your virginity is a once off event
and more than likely most of your friends (wow or not) would have lost it b4 they played wow
Fodder says (4:44 PM):
it's not about when they did
but more about the kind of person who would be drawn to that particular game
Marstar says (4:45 PM):
i.e. at the time they lost it ... WoW wasnt a factor
Fodder says (4:45 PM):
i think wow is somewhat of a less hardcore gamer game
than other games such as CS
so if you are a wow player
you are the kind of person who would play wow
it doesn't really matter when you started playing
the fact that you chose to play it defines the kind of person you are
to some degree
Marstar says (4:45 PM):
But you are seeing if WoW gamers are more or less virgins to non-wow gamers
Marstar says (4:47 PM):
youre survey won't show that though
Fodder says (4:47 PM):
why not?
Marstar says (4:47 PM):
cause most of the people who arnt virgins , but play WoW ... lost it b4 WoW
Marstar says (4:48 PM):
e.g. I lost mine a good 15 yrs ago
I then played wow
so who is to know ... if i would have remained a virgin if i played WoW b4 i lost it
Fodder says (4:49 PM):
well, there is the theory that someone's underlying personality will not change a great deal over the course of their life
Marstar says (4:49 PM):
what does personality have to do with Virginity? :P
sooner or later every1 loses it
Fodder says (4:49 PM):
a lot!
that is true
but with the exception of you :P
most of the people in my survey are my age
give or take a few years
Fodder says (4:50 PM):
actually, you're not the oldest
@_@
but either way
Marstar says (4:50 PM):
haha
Fodder says (4:50 PM):
to have lost it before getting married
requires a certain type of personality
and i think that playing wow might be an indicator of a certain type of personality
Marstar says (4:50 PM):
actually to keep it until marraige requires a certain personality these days :P
Fodder says (4:51 PM):
for instance, most CS players tend to have a different personality to most WoW players
it's just something i want to test :)
Marstar says (4:51 PM):
I don't see your survey as statistically significant though :P
Fodder says (4:51 PM):
of course it's not
hahaha
Fodder says (4:52 PM):
first of all, it is inherently biased
Marstar says (4:52 PM):
as in i dont see WoW and Virginity correlating at all
Marstar says (4:53 PM):
your survey ersult will just be : "i have more virgin friends who do./dont play WOW"
Marstar says (4:54 PM):
more than likely it'll be your personality that is being tested :P

No comments: