Wednesday 24 November 2010

Gobble Gobble



There's an achievement in WoW during the Pilgrim's Bounty (Thanksgiving) holiday that involves killing 40 turkeys within 30s of each other. It can be frustrating to try when the area is populated by other people trying to do the same achievement. You can be so close to a string of 40 kills when someone ninjas a turkey and there are no other turkeys within attack distance from where you are, so you have to start over again.

I figured the best time to farm the achievement would be later in the week, as the eager beavers will have finished with it, and you'd get in just before the people who suddenly realised the holiday would be over soon and wanted to quickly farm it before it ended. Then Brookie got it and told me Tirisfal was empty, so I ported over and tried my luck. HE LIED. There were so many other people farming at the same time I got the chain up to the 20s a few times before losing my turkey and starting over.

While I was grinding turkeys, I was thinking about how if you have a short chain (1-20 kills), are you're better off letting someone else finish their chain, and losing yours? If you do, that's one less person who is going to compete with you for turkeys. I had this idea that if two people came across a turkey, they could both say how long their chain was, and the person with the longest chain could have the kill. Or they could both play rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock and the winner would kill.

Though I imagine if you went by the longest chain gets the kill method, it would be really hard to get a long chain in the first place, because if you have to keep starting over, you're likely to come across people with longer chains than you, forcing you to start over. There isn't even time for the other two methods, as precious seconds will tick away while you sort out who should get the kill.

I wonder if all the people who threatened to quit WoW over this achievement, and other similar ones, actually did quit, would they put a serious dent in Blizzard/Activision's pocket?

No comments: