Friday 26 November 2010

World of CasualCraft, the Follow-Up

I've closed the poll now, and have started calculating some results. I had a total of 38 people respond to my survey. I didn't take any demographic data, which I probably should have, but it is too late now.

Quick note about my survey. Yes, I was only looking at whether being a WoW player affects whether you are a virgin, but I also asked a few other questions because it felt weird to just outright ask whether someone is a virgin or not. I think I am going to try to look at what some of that other data says, but I just have to work out how I'm going to do that first!

So the first part, is there a relationship between WoW and virginity?

Number of WoW players (this includes ex-WoW players, as well as current): 22
WoW + Virgin: 10
% virgins: 45%

Number of non-WoW players: 16
Non-WoW + Virgin: 7
% virgins: 44%

I guess I wasn't all that good at guessing after all. =(

I ran a Chi-squared test and found that the results show there isn't a significant difference (X^2 = 0.14, p > .05) between WoW players and non-WoW players and virginity.

Interestingly, if you look within the WoW players, dividing between current and ex-WoW players, you get a different result.

Current WoW players: 7
# Virgins: 1
% virgins: 14%

Ex-WoW players: 15
# Virgins: 9
% virgins 60%

Chi-squared test shows that this is a significant difference (X^2 = 4.04, p < .05)! Does that mean that playing WoW and then stopping means you're less likely to lose your virginity? I did get data on whether players are currently sexually active, so that will come in a further post!

[EDIT] Eric points out that this more likely means that people who have lost their virginity are less likely to quit WoW, rather than what I said - which makes much more sense!

I guess the biggest problem is the whole time factor, that I didn't include in my survey - ie. whether it was lost before or after playing WoW. But it still goes with my personality theory, maybe people who are WoW-quitters (!) have a certain type of personality. If I was to continue with my World of CasualCraft assertion, vanilla WoW, and perhaps BC were far more hardcore than WotLK is, and so hardcore players would have quit long ago.

The other things I want to look at:

-whether hardcore players tend to prefer single-player or multi-player games
-whether hardcore players tend to prefer certain genres
-whether WoW playing and current sexual activity are related
-whether it's not just WoW, but MMOs in general

No comments: