Saturday 14 February 2015

How Many Words Does a Staged Picture Tell?

MrMan5.5 and I had our engagement portrait done. I don't really know if it's still an engagement portrait if we got it done years after getting engaged, but that's what the photographer called it, so that's what I'm going to call it. I've always seen photos like that at other people's houses, but the way that it's done look so natural that it never occurred to me that they were taken by a professional photographer in a studio. I just thought a friend happened to get a really nice candid shot at a party or something. It always made me think that they must really be in love to just be casually looking at each other like that. Oh, and that they're both so good looking!

Now I have been behind the veil, and I know the truth. It's actually amazing how much good angles and lighting, and a professional eye can do. Oh, and lots and lots of make up. We don't have any of the photos yet, as they're being touched up before being sent off (another thing that probably makes the photos look all that much nicer), but even the semi-touched up versions looked amazing. What surprised me was the fact that the way we looked when we were posing did not resemble the final photo at all.

There was one photo where she got us to put our heads together, but lean forwards (the photo looks kinda NSFW, so I'll keep this one behind a link), which was incredibly awkward, and felt really uncomfortable, but somehow, the photo in the end looked amazing. I think I felt incredibly awkward during the entire shoot, and I don't remember smiling all that much, but she ended up showing us over 40 photos in which we were both smiling and laughing. Which probably goes to show that she's an amazing photographer, and I'm really glad we decided to go with her.

To be honest, the entire thing gave me a bit of a confidence boost. It makes me feel a little better about not looking like a movie star. I always thought those "See X without their makeup on!" photos were just paparazzi catching them on a bad day, but while I'm sure they're still incredibly attractive, I can kinda see how skilled professionals can make them look much, much better than they really do.

Also, I'm not sure where that thing about the camera adding 10-pounds comes from, because judging by the photos we saw today, I feel like it was more the other way around. The photos she took made us look skinnier than we actually are, and no, it wasn't all MySpace angles.

According to Mental Floss, photos tend to make us look fatter/more flat because of the fact that when we see something in real life, we see with two eyes (well, most of us do), but when a camera records a photo, it is only through one lens. The post links to an article where you can see a straight-on photo of a mug, along with a composite photo made up of two photos that simulate what each eye would have seen (there's a gif at the bottom that alternates between the two so that you can see the difference). The post says that adding depth cues by doing things like creating shadows, can help give an otherwise flat photo a more realistic look.

All in all, it was an interesting experience. I don't think I'd ever be able to become a model, as I really don't like people looking at me that closely, but I have a better appreciation of the skill of photographers - and the power of photoshop! I've been subscribed to /r/learnPhotoshop for a while now, but I've never really sat down and done any of the tutorials I've seen posted. I should really give it a shot!

Oh, and happy Valentine's day, everyone! I hope that you get whatever you hope to get out of it!

No comments: