Monday 2 February 2015

Things I'm Going to Eat After the Wedding

It is the final countdown. I'm about to go and pick up my altered dress, and so this is it, whatever it looks like now is what I have to fit in for the wedding. I think because I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, all of my terrible food cravings are appearing to try and tempt me away. Instead of giving in, I'm going to make a list of all the things I want to gorge on during The Fattening.

Grilled Sandwich Containing Grilled Cheese, With Garlic Butter
Inspired by Alton Brown's Grilled Sandwich Containing Grilled Cheese (YouTube video, you can skip to about 1 min, when he starts the ingredients, or 2:30 when he actually starts cooking), except I want to coat the sandwiches in garlic butter, and skip the paprika and mustard and just go for the cheese and pepper.

Soy cheese (you can substitute real cheese here if you want, AB uses equal parts extra sharp cheddar and gruyere)
Pepper
Thick slices of sourdough bread
Nuttelex (you can substitute real butter here if you want)
Minced garlic
Parsley

Mix the Nuttelex, minced garlic and parsley to make garlic butter (it's the same as the stuff they put in garlic bread). Coat both sides of the slices of bread with the butter.
Grate the cheese, and mix with pepper. Use AB's aluminium foil griddle thing and put it on the grill side without charcoal.
Chuck the bread on the side of the grill with charcoal.
Cook until nicely toasted on one side, and flip over.
Cook the other side of the bread, then remove and make sandwiches with the slices of bread with cheese in the middle.
Wrap up in foil and grill for a little longer.
Om nom nom.

Hasselback Potatoes
I made these once as a kid, and I thought they were so, so, so delicious, but mum told me they were super unhealthy and she never let me make them again. But now I don't live with her anymore, so she can't tell me what to do - though she is right, they are incredibly unhealthy.

Potatoes (preferably long in shape)
Nuttelex Garlic Butter (have I mentioned that I like garlic?)
Paprika

Peel potatoes and make 5mm slices, except don't cut all the way through. A good trick to stopping yourself going all the way through - arrange chopsticks on either side. Wash the potatoes under running water, making sure to open them up a bit to wash the starch out from between the slices.

You can brush with garlic butter, or sprinkle with paprika (make sure to get between the slices!). Bake at 180 until they start to golden.

Wait for them to cool and then eat!

Liege Waffles
I had some Belgian waffles of the fluffy yeasty kind with that crispy caramelised outside. It had a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top with sliced bananas and dark chocolate drizzled on top. I didn't even care that it was such a cold day, the food was so good.

I've never made this myself, and I'm not entirely sure how I'd go about making it, but there'a recipe for liege waffles here: http://liegewafflerecipe.com/http://liegewafflerecipe.com/. I also need to get a Belgian waffle iron, maybe something I can pick up while on my honeymoon.

BBQ Pork Ribs
A fairly easy one to make. Get some ribs, and one of those pre-mixed BBQ rubs, mix the two together. Bake at 160 for 3-4 hours. Flip over and bake for 30 minutes. Take out of the oven, it should be falling off the bone at this point. Aaaaahhhhhh, fresh ribs.

Baked Potato with Bolognese Sauce
Pretty self explanatory one. I want to get a giant potato, cut open the top and scoop out some of the insides, pour bolognese sauce inside, bake until delicious!

KFC
So much fried chicken. I don't know how this is so far down the list! I think I talk about it so much that whenever there's a KFC promotion, my friend usually think of me first. All the fried chicken.

Baked Pretzels with Cinnamon
One of the things I love doing when going to the shopping centre is watching the people at the pretzel store make pretzels. I've never made any either, but I really want to. Nothing that complex, just sprinkled with cinnamon. Or if I'm going with the savoury version, then I'd probably put, as you can probably guess, garlic butter. I really love how soft they are to bite into, and they have such a subtle flavour that it really enhances whatever flavours you add to it.

Bananas Foster
Speaking of things I've never made, from playing Cook, Serve, Delicious for so long, I've really had a craving for bananas foster. In the game, it's sugar, butter and bananas (I think I'll skip the flambĂ© step for now), but hopefully coconut milk will be an OK substitute. Cook on either side, sprinkle cinnamon on top, serve with vanilla ice cream. Sounds delicious!

Choc Chip Cookies
The cookies from this recipe look so good, and I haven't baked cookies in a while because my cookie scoop broke (luckily, I got one from my sister for Christmas). My favourite are when it's a little crunchy around the edges, but soft and chewy in the middle, and this recipe claims to be able to achieve that, so I'm going to give it a go!

Chicago-Style Deep Dish Pizza
Even though I dream about eating a pizza where a slice is the size of my face, I've always wanted to try one of these deep dish pizzas with a pastry like crust. The recipe here seems simple enough to make, and the end result looks so good. Although, to be perfectly honest, I prefer thin-crust pizzas, because I love the combination of tomato sauce and bread. Actually, I just love the flavour of tomato sauce (though eating it alone makes it feel like it's lacking something). So maybe scratch this one. What I really want to eat is a mozzarella pizza with tons of tomato sauce on it. Super thin crust.

No comments: