Tuesday 3 February 2015

The Proposal

Another Reddit inspired post.
TL;DR: A guy's girlfriend has been pressuring him to propose to her. He doesn't entirely feel like the time is right, but due to the pressure, he proposes anyway. 
"I planned to take her into town to a really nice hotel in downtown Chicago. We had a great time, had dinner, and went to a roottop club above the hotel. When we returned to the room, there were rose petals leading to the bed and the ring. I proposed and she said yes, and everything seemed fine. We had wine and celebrated into the night."
She gets upset that his proposal was predictable, and that they had to get the ring re-sized (another problem with it). She demands that he does it again, but won't tell him what she wants because that'll ruin it.
I never really thought about the proposal (before it happened). In fact, we both joked that the person who accepts the proposal would have to wear the dress at the wedding, so for a while, both of us were jokingly proposing to each other to avoid having to be the one who wears the dress. I honestly think though, that in our case, it wasn't a matter of if we would made that commitment, but rather when, which is how it should be.

So on to the actual proposal. I spoke to MrMan5.5 about it recently, and it appears that we both remember it differently, but here is my version:

I had just woken up, and it was a horrible-for-hayfever Spring day. I was meant to be going to a friend's farm that day, but given how bad I was inside the house, I told him that I couldn't make it, and end up laying in bed instead. MrMan5.5 had already woken up, and he came in to check on me (as he used to be the one who had to drag me out of bed in the morning), and we both ended up lying in bed talking.

Then he turns over to me and says:

"Do you want to marry me?"

I thought it was just another joke proposal, so I replied, "Are you joking?"

He paused, and it really looked to me like he was going to say, "Yes, I'm joking, I just don't want to wear the dress." But what he actually ends up saying is, "Nope."

I said, "Really, really?"

He replied, "Really, really."

So I said, "OK."

And that was it, we became engaged. He didn't have a ring, we ordered one online later.

Afterwards, I kinda felt a bit disappointed. I thought there would be ice cream, or at least cake. When I think about it now, it just feels so right. So us. Neither of us is into big flashy things. To be perfectly honest, even though we keep getting Village Gold Class tickets as presents, I think we prefer just the regular seating, or even better, just relaxing on the couch at home watching in Blu Ray. We both hate dressing up to go out, though we do enjoy good food.

Sometimes I feel bad telling people about the proposal. I told someone at work and her response was, "Oh, is that all?" I felt horrible, like she was going to think badly of MrMan5.5, and I couldn't work out how to explain that I wondering where the roses were, or why there wasn't an orchestra playing my favourite song. All I was thinking about was that I had finally found someone who was willing to spend the rest of their life with me. Which I know I said earlier it was just a case of when for us, but having him say it just made it real.

And so this is the story of why I'll be wearing the dress at our wedding.

No comments: