Monday 30 March 2015

Oh, Canada

About a year ago, I went to a LAN gaming meetup. There, I met Jane. We played Starcraft 2 and Dota together, and I found out that she is a huge fan of Final Fantasy XIV. She was here in Australia from Canada for some sort of overseas teaching peogram where she gets to work as a substitute teacher.

The thing that struck me the most was how similar we are. I know I've said this so many times and it sounds like I'm on some sort of grand quest to meet my personality double. I guess meeting people who are like me makes me feel like it's OK to be like me, because there are others out there doing it, too. Anyway, as I've already mentioned, she's a gamer, and quite a serious one at that. She said she was one of the top DPS in her free company (guild). That's one aspect we differ on, she loves DPS and hates healing, I'm the opposite. She feels just as confused by fashion as I do. She loves eating. Her relationship with her boyfriend sounds a lot like me and MrMan5.5.

We had a plan to both update our wardrobes together, to try and get a less WTF-am-I-doing look. However, that was kinda limited by her disposable income, or rather, the lack of. Unfortunately, she had long periods where she didn't get much work, so it was down to instant noodles for her. I felt bad, and I tried to take her out to eat, but she doesn't really like to be a charity case.

It's actually pretty funny to see us together. She's from one of the colder cities in Canada. She said that days that would normally be considered snow days in other cities are just regular days in her home town. So when we are together, I'm usually rugged up in a winter coat and scarf. She's in a T-shirt and thongs. She laughs at our Australian "Winter". On the flip side, I tried to warn her about our Summers and she said it couldn't be that bad. Luckily we only had a couple of 40+ days this year, but she was pretty much incapacitated. Though so was I as unfortunately I don't have heat resistance super powers.

She's younger than me, and I feel like she is where I was 5 years ago, except she's a lot more cultured than me, as she has also studied abroad in Japan.

Yesterday, I met up with her for lunch to say goodbye, as she is leaving Australia on Wednesday. I feel sad to see her go, but we'll still be able to keep in touch via Facebook. And who knows, maybe we'll see each other again when the expansion for FFXIV launches. By see each other, I mean in-game, of course.

No comments: