Sunday 8 March 2015

The Last Sprint

I'm trying not to post about wedding stuff too often, as I know it's pretty boring, even though it's a large part of my life right now, but we are hitting the last sprint. I can see the finish line from here. There's just a few more tasks to go (including writing our vows, which I don't know if I even have any writing left in me, but I'm going to try).

I ended up uninviting my bridesmaids to my hen's afternoon, out of anger, and I feel silly re-inviting them, but I'm still going to go ahead with it, because I have already invited my other friends. Picnic was the most popular option, so I think we'll just go with something fairly relaxed like a BBQ or something. It is highly likely that there will be gingerbread. Gingerbread is my life now. I'm actually looking forward to it somewhat, even though I have a feeling there will be drama, I don't care, it's almost over.

We have decided to have a wishing well at our wedding, since we pretty much have everything we need already, and I think if we did do a registry, I'd end up putting all this useless junk on it that I feel like I want in the moment, but after receiving it, realise that I really don't need. You have no idea how many times I've looked at an ice-cream maker, and been tempted to buy one. Except I remember when I was doing research into finding one that is good at making soy ice-cream (harder to make because of the lower fat content), and I didn't end up managing to find any. Not to mention that some of them are pretty damn loud, and our freezer is too small to fit one of those bowls, so the only ones we could buy are the ones that don't require you to pre-freeze the bowl beforehand. Yeah, I think if we had gone with a registry, I'd have put lots of useless junk, but MrMan5.5 would have put nothing. So in the end, even if it is a bit tacky, I'm glad we went with the wishing well. Plus, it makes me feel a bit better about dreaming of putting all of my money on red in Monaco.

I've been looking for a wishing well for a while, and I couldn't really find anything. With a flash of inspiration from my favourite electrical engineer, we decided to try and make our own, modeled on the companion cube from Portal. I will post pics if it ends up looking somewhat decent. It's just a matter of buying the cardboard and putting it together. I'm sure someone else has done it, so we can just matter of finding instructions.

http://offbeatbride.com/2014/06/companion-cube-card-box

I think I could do that. Or this:

http://windupbobomb.tumblr.com/post/8082277215/how-to-make-a-companion-cube-gift-box-and-more

There are instructions for ones made out of wood that look amazing, but I don't have a saw, so I don't think I could pull that off. The other issue is what am I going to do with it after the wedding? It's not as easy to toss out as some cardboard.

All in all, as I mentioned before, I'm pretty meh about the whole thing, we have the essentials, and that's the important part. However, I am a bit more excited about it. And I think I have become less bridezilla, and I'm not frustrated at my failure of a hen's afternoon anymore. Still counting the days until it's over though.

-------------------------------------------

Today I learned that Berthel Nordström is Sweden's most "Digital Senior". I don't know if that's self-awarded, but he seems pretty cool based on the AMA he did with a woman who spent her first week on the Internet.

No comments: