Monday 16 March 2015

Thin Grey Line

I had my hen's afternoon today. It was nice to catch up with high school friends. I found out that one of them is working in a crime lab. She does get to do some cool stuff, but she said that it's nothing like what's showed on CSI. I know that deep down, but a part of me still regrets not doing it. Same with police work, I came across a Reddit thread where a police officer talks about what it's like to be on the force, and he said that you see a lot of messed up stuff, and you need to be able to deal with it every day.

I love crime TV shows though. Mostly the less serious ones, like CSI, or Monk, and I've just started watching Castle. I like the good guys vs bad guys fight, but I know that real life isn't so black and white. Though some of the more profound episodes of crime shows, yes, even CSI, are the ones where the episode ends, and rather than feeling like it was all wrapped up nicely, you feel like justice was perverted. I can't remember the episode title, but there was one episode where there was a pair of twins. One twin left DNA at a crime scene, and I can't exactly remember how it played out, but his twin was arrested, and eventually convicted, even though the CSI team was pretty sure the first twin committed the crime. They just didn't have the evidence to back it up as everything pointed to the second twin.

Or there was one where the CSI team pressured one of the witnesses to identify their suspect in a police line-up. She doesn't want to because she's afraid, but it's the only piece of evidence that the police have, so they keep pushing her, until she finally breaks and does it, identifying the criminal. That night, she is killed on her way home, presumably by the accomplices of the person she picked out, and so the police lose their only witness. The entire thing goes unsolved as they lack any other evidence.

That's why I don't think I'll make it as a police officer. I imagine myself as a Frank Lundy-type (from Dexter), where I'll have a case I just won't be able to solve, and I'll become obsessed with it, even trying to solve it after retirement. I have a feeling I will also get caught up in trying to put "bad guys" away, when in reality, sometimes it's better to offer a deal to the smaller fish in order to catch a bigger fish. That thing has never really sat well with me. I do understand that the higher-ups effectively cause more damage to society, so for the "greater good" it is worth trading some of the smaller criminals in order to get a big one, but I don't like the fact that the smaller criminals can get off with a lighter punishment just because they're willing to betray someone else. Though snitching does seem to be bad for your health, if I've learned anything from The Wire.

I'm just really too black and white to operate in a world of grey. I really think I missed my calling as an accountant. At least there's no fitness requirement to become one of those.

---------------------------------

Today I learned that men's suits are designed so that the bottom button isn't buttoned up. This is because King Edward VII was too fat to button his up and the fashion spread.

No comments: