Monday 2 October 2017

Failed Vegan Mango Coconut Ice-Cream


Ingredients
400ml coconut cream
320g sweetened condensed coconut milk
2 mangos, peeled and cored
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste.

Method
1. Whisk together cream, milk and vanilla bean paste until combined.
2. Blend the mango flesh until smooth
3. Churn the cream / milk in your ice-cream machine.
4. Put a layer of the frozen cream in your ice-cream container, then a layer of mango, then cream, mango, etc, until you run out of both. With a knife / spatula, gently mix the mango and cream mixture to distribute the mango. Freeze overnight.

--------------------------------

I found out that a pet peeve of a lot of cooks is having to wade through someone's life story before getting to a recipe, so I'm going to try putting it at the top from now on!

Since I found sweetened condensed coconut milk at the supermarket, I've been wondering whether I can use Nigella's coffee ice-cream recipe with that and coconut milk to create a vegan ice-cream that requires a lot less effort than the Serious Eats one (not that this is a lot of effort, it's just that the other one is less effort, and I'm all for less effort).


The answer: I think the coconut cream part was decently creamy, but the frozen mango was incredibly icy, and I think it would have been a bit better if I had cooked it a bit to get rid of some of the water. Aside from the icy texture, the flavour was really nice. It wasn't too sweet, and was decently coconutty, even with the vanilla bean paste.

I found it didn't stay frozen for very long after removing it from the ice-cream machine, so that probably resulted in a lot more large ice-crystals than I'd normally get.

I don't think it was very successful though, hence the title. I think if you're going to go to the effort of making your own ice-cream, you might as well put it in the effort to make it properly.

(Also, I made this ice-cream on the 30th of September, so I've still kept up with my co-worker's monthly ice-cream challenge! I just had other things to post, so the post is a bit late.)

(Another side note: as I've found I seem to be building a tolerance to egg, I want to try a vanilla custard ice-cream, or as I've discovered, this is what French vanilla is! I always thought it was weird that there was something called French vanilla when most vanilla comes from Madagascar or Mexico and I didn't think France was particularly famous for its vanilla.)

No comments: