Saturday 21 October 2017

No Connection to the World


I'm being reminded of when we moved house and had no internet for 2 months as we are currently having network issues. The biggest difference between then and now is that I have a 10GB per month phone plan, so tethering off my phone isn't so bad. So not having internet at home isn't that bad either.

I spent most of the day reading this great web comic called Scandinavia and the World, which personifies the countries of the world, focusing on the Scandinavian ones. I've mentioned a few times now how much I want to go to Sweden, but these comics are making me want to go to all of the Scandinavian countries. I love that the author adds notes at the bottom of the comic, explaining things for people who may not understand the stereotypes. I've learned so much about other countries just from these notes.

Apparently they like to put big rocks in noteworthy places in Denmark.

This one does a great job of doing a TL;DR on Brexit.

What the English equivalent of lady birds are in other countries. Or "It's all Greek to me".

I love it when Australia appears.

I felt like this one on language barriers was pretty eye-opening to me. I've always been like America: if I go to another country, I try to learn some of their native language because it seems rude to expect them to speak mine. But the author points out that this can be irritating for people from countries where they also speak English quite fluently, as they'd rather you just spoke English since it would be easier for both of you. Well, I guess that means I shouldn't try to learn Swedish!

I was talking with Michael about the whole "French people will act arrogant towards you if you only speak English, but if you at least try to speak French, they will be kind towards you" perception, and he said the reason why there's such a huge focus on French is that a lot of people in France are quite proud of their language. The French government bans the use of the English-based "e-mail" in official correspondence, suggesting people use the French word "courriel" instead. Which I think is a bit silly, as English has become the lingua franca in the technology world. But I do understand wanting to protect your heritage.

I find it so fascinating to find out what it's like for other people. Maybe it's all part of my secret quest to work out what people are thinking. It's also interesting to see the things that we take for granted. MrMoustache was telling us how he was out of chocolate and he wanted some. Pharmacist and I asked why he didn't just go and buy some. He said it was 2am, and nothing was open at that time. Sure, our local supermarket would be closed, and even all the shopping centres around, but if you drive far enough in Melbourne, you're bound to find a 24-hour petrol station, or 24-hour convenience store. It was one of the awesome things about being in Tokyo - there are 24-hour convenience stores everywhere.

I also never knew that Denmark and Sweden were "rivals" like how Australia and New Zealand joke about each other. Obligatory New Zealand loves sheep comic. Except I don't think we have quite the violent background that Denmark and Sweden do. Although history was one of my worst subjects. But I imagine not, as we did fight together in the ANZAC after all! Though MrMoustache told me about the "Underarm bowling incident of 1981". Someone at work plays on a cricket team, and whenever I want to make him laugh, I mention the underarm bowling incident, and we both start laughing uncontrollably. Being a Kiwi, MrMoustache doesn't find it nearly as funny.

I wonder if there's an Asian equivalent. I wish I knew enough about Asian culture to draw my own. Well, I'd probably need to be able to draw as well...

No comments: