Monday 19 January 2015

People I am Grateful For - A

To follow on from my post of a couple of days ago, I thought I'd start writing thank you letters to some of the people I'm grateful to have, or have had, in my life. Perhaps a lame way to get 26 blog posts out of it (because there are 26 letters of the alphabet, and I had to pick some sort of limit), but I think that it's nice to reflect on some of the good things that have happened, because it becomes far too easy to just remember the negative things. One day, if I ever become brave enough, I may even end up sending some of these letters to their intended recipients, but I'm afraid it might be too weird, and they might say, "Lol, umm... why are you saying all this stuff? Are you dying?" and it might possibly fuel those cancer rumours. :( If I don't end up writing something to you, that doesn't mean I don't value you in my life. I was just thinking about some of the people in my life who have been a turning point of some kind for me.

OK, let the games begin!

----------------------------------

I've struggled with self-motivation a lot in the past, and I know my weight has been something I've wanted to get under control, but never been able to. But for the past couple of years, you've really helped me get through it. Seeing your own journey to slim down helped a lot, as I knew that you knew what I was going through. Mostly importantly, it was that you never made me feel bad about myself, and you constantly reiterated, "Do it for yourself". There were a lot of Mondays where I came into work and told you about how I did not go to the gym, and the horrible foods I ate, and still, you never chastised me. You just told me to keep going.

I kept waiting for the stick, and it never came. Then one Monday, as I was preparing to type another summary of my bad weekend to you, it just hit me. Is this what I really want to do? I could hear the voice of one of my best friends, telling me about his total disdain for fatties. I could hear the kids at the supermarket saying, "Why don't we ask the fat lady?" (In reference to me.) But that wasn't enough. I eventually decided that I did want to lose weight, and not to avoid the scathing remarks from others, but for myself.

I wanted to say thank you, for pushing me to push myself, and for never losing faith in me.

No comments: